Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Frosty December!


Winter has definitely touched down on the Oregon coast! With temperatures down into the teens (18 forecast for tonight) It was time to bring out lily's blanket and worry about the possible freezing of the pipes/auto waterer. She hasn't seen the blanket in about 8 months, so of course at first it was possibly a blue plaid horse eating creature. It is our third winter together and her third winter of being blanketed however, so she got over it pretty quickly. Yesterday I brought a plastic garbage can out to the barn and put it in her stall, filled it up and with help from my dad put hooks in the wall and used bungee cords to help prevent "accidental" tip overs. This afternoon when I went out, the auto waterers were turned off, but she hadn't drank from the garbage can (which has never had garbage in it by the way!) which concerned me a little. I'm sure the plastic container imparts a bit of a different taste from her slightly rusty metal auto waterer, although she had a plastic supplemental water container last year that she used just fine. It was a harder type of plastic though and maybe didn't give off as much of a plastic taste? I'm considering getting flavored electrolytes to add to her water if I find she's not drinking enough when I go out tomorrow. Has anyone else had any problems like this? Have you used flavored electrolytes to encourage your horse to drink more?

10 comments:

Pony Girl said...

We tried powder electrolytes one summer on a trail riding trip. We put them in the horse's grain and they did not like them. Thought about trying them in the water, but didn't want my horse not to drink. All horses are different about their pickiness, I'm sure some wouldn't notice. I bet Lily will drink from that can when she gets thirsty. But you are like me and worry about our ponies! ;) I like the plaid blanket. I put mine on MB too, with temps as low as 11 degrees at night, I felt better for him! I know he'd probably survive fine w/out it, it's not wet out.....I just feel better.

Velvet Valeska said...

I know! I think the blanket is more for me than for her lol She has her woolies and never seems bothered by the cold unless she's wet too. But I feel better too when I throw on the blanket ;)

Once Upon an Equine said...

Pretty blanket. I've not tried the flavored electrolytes. My mare is very particular about the smell and taste of her water. Changing a container will put her off her water for awhile. I've been tossing some stock salt in with their pellets lately (temps have been to -12F at my house) to encourage drinking.

Emmi said...

The only thing that we did was put a water heater into the bottom of the trough, my horse never had problems doing that. Good luck to you with it.

By Way of Salem said...

My horse didn't like the flavored water, but put a salt block in the stall - that will encourage drinking. I've also heard that you can sprinkle a bit of salt on their hay and that too will help them drink. But they do drink less in winter anyway - I think like we do.

allhorsestuff said...

Hi there..haven't been here for some time, thought to check in.
Hope all has been going well for you.

wintertime is tough with the water situation for all horse owners..they tend to not want to drink cold or frozen edged water sources. Scarey for impaction colic!
My barn owners did a wonderful thing this year. Had a dedicated power source placed near the stall so the floating heater we bought is safe in the large 30 gallon tub . She drinks and drinks...
Adding a tablespoon of salt to a grain ration helps too.
And-My vet also recommended soaking "Beet Pulp" pellets overnight and allowing my mare to have 2-3 cups a day, of soupy pulp for those freezing weeks. It adds moisture to the hind gut.
Yea, I blanket my mare. She is a thin skinned Thoroughbred..never gets very much coat. I would rather do that, than feed more to keep her weight up.

Let us all know how you have been!!!
KK

By Way of Salem said...

And a lovely blanket it is!

Rising Rainbow said...

Nice blanket. By now I'm thinking you figured the water issue out. Hope spring is coming your way.

prashant said...

Good luck to you with it.
Contextual Ad Network India

Ron Krajewski said...

My wife would love that blanket.